For those who wish to see the beautiful Amazon, an excursion is planned to Iquitos and the surrounding Amazonian jungle. This excursion is planned for after the wedding and New Year celebration at the beach at Bujama. The dates are 2 January to 5 January tentatively. Here are the details:
IQUITOS – AMAZON RIVER – PERU
Tambo Yanayacu Lodge
(3 days / 2 nights)
Interact with Nature and experience a profound appreciation for life. The outings in the Yanayacu Ecosystem environment (“The Kingdom of the Giant Trees”) are aimed to let you discover the extraordinary beauty of the lowland Amazon rainforest as well as the warmth and friendship of its native people, both coexisting peacefully and depending on each other for their survival. Our skilled guides will lead the exciting jungle trekking and river boating that will bring-out the adventure spirit within you. You will find out about the efforts that are being done here to preserve the largest tropical forest on Earth and you will also become part of this effort!
Day 01: … (Lima) / Iquitos / Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge / Tambo Yanayacu Lodge (L-D)
* Meet and greet at the Iquitos Airport from where you will be transferred to the city (you will briefly sightsee the tourist highlights of Iquitos along the way).
* Transfer in the morning from your hotel to the river wharf.
* Speed boat trip on the Amazon, the world’s largest river. During the trip, you will see the magnificence of the Amazon, the exuberance of the jungle and the picturesque villages appearing on the shores with their particular color and joy.
* Arrival and accommodation in the Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge located 45 minutes from Iquitos. The native-style lodge built with natural materials is upon high ground, surrounded by trees, plants and flowers, where birds and butterflies roam.
* Refreshing “welcome drink” made with regional fruit (cocona, camu camu, copoazu, other) and brief instructions about the sustained conservation standards that must be observed in the lodge and its surroundings in order to make your tour best enjoyable.
Ecocultural Circuit (The Sinchicuy Watershed Ecosystem)
* Short walk or canoe ride in the afternoon –depending on the season- to “Nuevo Peru” where a Yagua community has established. You will get acquainted with their customs, see their unique apparel made of palm fibers and even try their “pucuna” or blowgun.
* Visit the local “shaman” who will explain about the marvelous healing properties and use of some of these plants and roots.
* Visit the Wildlife Rescue Center.
* Lunch at the Amazonas Sinchicuy. Gastronomy in the lodge is based upon the ample use of natural and fresh products from the river and the local farmlands.
* After lunch boat transfer to the opposite side of the Amazon where the trip continues on foot through the riverside farmlands and rainforest trail until reaching the Yanayacu River.
* Boat or canoe on the Yanayacu River to the Tambo Yanayacu Lodge located in the “Kingdom of the Giant Trees”.
* Watch the rich avian fauna of the area.
* See the diverse medicinal plants, epiphyte plants (bromeliads) growing high on the trees, and giant flora like the “lupuna” or ceiba tree species over 150-feet high.
* Search for primates and sloths that mimetize with the forest canopy.
* Lunch at the Tambo Yanayacu (38 Miles NE of Iquitos).
* Trek to oxbow lake in the afternoon where it is possible to find the Horned Screamer (Anhima cornuta), eye-catching bird specie that feeds on aquatic flora.
* Evening walk or canoe ride.
* Dinner at the Tambo Yanayacu.
Day 02: Tambo Yanayacu Lodge (B-L-D)
* Birdwatching during the early morning hours. Best time to identify and photograph bird species as they search their food on the river.
* Breakfast at the Tambo Yanayacu.
* Hike to Yagua Cocha. Long walk following the jungle used by the people that live in this area to reach one of the largest and most beautiful lakes. Here you can also spot the Hoatzin or “shansho” bird (Opisthocomus hoatzin) and if you wish you may practice native-style fishing onboard a dugout canoe.*
* Box lunch (you may request the cook to prepare what you might have fished).
* Return to the Tambo Yanayacu and be part of the reforestation program activity Plant-a-Tree in an area near the lodge.
* Visit a typical farmers’ village or if you prefer, canoe or swim on the paradisiacal creek.
If you made camping-near-the-lake arrangements at the moment you reserved this tour, our staff will provide the necessary camping gear for your safety and comfort.
Day 03: Tambo Yanayacu / Iquitos / (Lima) …. (B-L)
* Breakfast at the Tambo Yanayacu.
* Excursion to Amazon River village.
* Lunch at the Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge.
* Return by boat in the afternoon to Iquitos and transferred back to your hotel or to the airport at a convenient time to board your flight.